4 steps to clean eyeglasses and 6 things not to do
How to clean glasses framesThe best way of cleaning the glasses frame is to wash the frame with warm water containing a drop of pH neutral cleaner and then wipe off the dirt and grease with a soft cloth. A banister brush can be adopted to clean the dirt and grease on nose pads and hinges. You can also use an old toothbrush, but make sure it has soft hair.
How to safely clean the glasses lens
1. First, please wash your hands to get rid of any dirt or grease.
2. Put a small drop of pH neutral cleaner on your finger tip and gently wipe it onto lenses and nose pads.
3. Wash with warm water and wipe off moisture with a microfiber cloth.
4. Check the glasses frame and repeat above steps until lenses are clean enough.
The above method is more suitable for home scenarios. You can also clean with lens wipes or cleaning sprays in the outdoors and wipe gently with a microfiber cloth. Then wipe off moisture with a dry microfiber cloth. You can find the best eyeglass cleaner designed for coated lens HERE.
Common mistakes during eyeglasses cleaning
1. Do not wipe with your shirt or other clothes. Dust and debris on the fabric can scratch your glasses.
2. Do not wipe with tissues. These materials are too coarse to wipe the lens and may cause tiny scratches.
3. Do not use hot water, since it will damage the lens coating. If you do not know what lens coating is, please check HERE: Lens coatings: UV, scratch resistant, anti-reflective, Photochromic
4. Do not use household cleaning products or clean glasses with vinegar. The amino chemicals or acid inside can damage the protective coating of lens or even corrode the frame of metal eyeglasses.
5. Do not put your glasses on the dresser. Beauty products may contain chemicals that can damage the protective coating of your lens.
6. Wash your eyeglass cloth regularly since it can collect dirt and grease. Please clean glasses cloth after using for two to three times.
How to clear off tiny scratches on the lens? You can try to clear off these scratches with a cotton or soft wool cloth and a little of non-abrasive toothpaste. Then wipe gently in circles to clear off these tiny scratches on the lens.
Please store your glasses in a hard case when they are not in use. This can avoid the deposition of dust and debris on the lens and prevent from scratches or bending.